Sponsored DNA tests and partially-sponsored DNA tests are available to RUSSELL Project members. If you qualify, but are not yet a member, you must join the RUSSELL Project to receive the Sponsorship. Please note that by joining the RUSSELL Project, y-DNA tests will already have a reduced price compared to the public price. These Sponsorships are in addition to the discounted test price you will receive by being a RUSSELL Project member, or to any sale price which Family Tree DNA may offer.
Funding for sponsored tests is provided by private donors to the RUSSELL Project. Sponsorships change as some are awarded and new ones are added, so check back often!
Currently Available Sponsorships
Fully-sponsored (free) y-DNA-37 tests are available as follows:
- Descendants of the following:
- William Russell "the younger," blacksmith/gunsmith of Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland (m. Agnes Jervy 21 Aug 1764 in Bothwell).*
- William Russell "the elder," blacksmith/gunsmith of Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland (m.1. Mary Wotherspoon abt 1735)*
Partially-sponsored y-DNA-37 tests are available as follows:
- Documented Russell ancestry to a Russell male who resided in Lanarkshire, Scotland in the 1700s - $20 USD toward a y-DNA-37 test**
- Documented Russell ancestry to a Russell male who resided in Lanarkshire, Scotland in the 1700s, and Testee is a resident of the United Kingdom - $30 USD toward a y-DNA-37 test**
- Documented Russell ancestry to a Russell male who resided in Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1770 or earlier - $50 toward a y-DNA-37 test*
Partially-sponsored Big Y tests are available as follows:
A member of the Russell Project assigned to Haplogroup R1b - Lineage 1 - $75 USD toward a Big Y test*
*One Sponsorship available
**Multiple Sponsorships available
If you would like to sponsor or partially-sponsor a test, please contact a RUSSELL Project Administrator for details and to have your sponsored test displayed on this page.
Sponsorships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, and are subject to Project Administrator approval. Must provide documentation of your RUSSELL ancestry, as described in each Sponsorship offer. Must be willing to share your RUSSELL ancestry and results with RUSSELL Project members and your genetic matches. Limit one per family please. Sponsorships are subject to cancellation without notice at any time prior to award. To apply, please contact a Project Administrator.