To identify all branches of McMahon(and known derivatives) in order to enable testers to:
1) determine the most likely lineage of McMahon, McMahan, Mahon etc that they descend from
2) identify others to whom they might be related.
In order to achieve these goals, it is essential that members test to a minimum of Y-67 STR markers. This is the essential first step in establishing your position in the scheme of things. Testing at this level allows:
- FTDNA to make a more accurate estimate of haplotype
- Distinguish Colla from non-Colla (Colla = null value for 48thmarker)
- Produce more statistically significant results.
The Project tracks DNA results from male testers only. Y-DNA testing only tracks the male lineage in a similar fashion to the way a surname is passed down from father to son. You should only join this Project if you have had Y-DNA tested (DNA from you if male or a male relative, if female), and your predicted haplogroup is of the R-M269 type. Just having a Family Finder and/or mt-DNA test done is irrelevant; these tests will not help you track your paternal ancestry.