Goals of the project are summarized as follows:
1. To identify which members (or family branches) are most closely related to each other. Those that have similar genetic signatures can be considered to be genetically related and are grouped together into lineages.
2. To allow the established member of a genetic lineage (or family) to tap into the reservoir of genealogical information provided by other members of his family, such as: family bibles, documented family histories, paper trail research, etc.
3. To confirm genetic relationships postulated by traditional genealogies and paper trail evidence.
4. To help members find the best focus for further documentary research.
5. To identify the likely origin of a genetic family.
6. To study the evolution of the surname from its earliest origins to its present day forms.
7. To document and publish the results along the way so that others can derive the maximum
benefit from the project.