For example - father > grandfather > great-grandfather > great-great-grandfather.
The project was originally established in October 2001 as the Scottish Clans DNA Project. The project merged with the Scotland DNA Project in 2012. The project was split into Y-DNA and mtDNA projects in Spring 2016.
The Scottish mtDNA Project can be found at: www.familytreedna.com/public/ScottishmtDNA/
The Scottish DNA Project has no connection with the defunct company called Scotlandsdna/Britainsdna.
If you are interested in using DNA for genealogical purposes and would like to find out about your deeper ancestral origins then first order a Y-DNA kit (paternal ancestry).
• Provide a database of Scottish yDNA test results useful for personal and academic research
• Encourage participants to join a surname, clan or family and relevant haplogroup project
• Enable participants to identify their ancestral origins and make connections with their genetic kin
• Explore interrelationships between clans and families
• To provide education and information on genetic genealogy and Scottish family history research
For further information please visit our comprehensive website at: http://scottishdna.net
Visit our blog for news or information about the project: http://scottishdna.blogspot.com
The Project can be found on Google+
We advise all participants to join an appropriate surname, clan, family or haplogroup project as the best way to find genetic matches. The Scottish Y-DNA Project aims to support and promote the best possible participation of these projects.
If you live in the United Kingdom
Test kits can now be purchased and mailed direct from the United Kingdom - contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Information last updated on 13 June 2016.