1. How can someone join this project?
Are you new to Family Tree DNA and have not taken a DNA test?
- Create a free Family Tree DNA account:
- 1. Click the UPLOAD DNA DATA link at the top of this page and complete the form. (Note: You will not be required to upload anything.)
- 2. This will generate an email to your Inbox that includes a login/account number and a password.
- 3. Use that account number and password to login to your new FTDNA account.
- 4. Then, from your Dashboard:
- choose "myPROJECTS"
- select "Join a Project"
- search for Sansbury or Sainsbury (either name)
- click on the project
- click the orange "Join" button.
- You can join us whether or not you have done any DNA testing.
Did you take a DNA test with another company?
- If you already tested with Ancestry, 23andMe, or MyHeritage click the UPLOAD DNA DATA link at the top of this page
- Create a free Family Tree DNA account.
- Then follow the instructions to upload your raw DNA data file from the other company.
- After uploading your raw DNA file from another company, go to your main dashboard in Family Tree DNA, choose "myPROJECTS" and select "Join a Project." Then search for Sansbury or Sainsbury (either name), click on the project, and then click the orange "Join" button.
- Note: Not all raw DNA files are transferrable. To see exactly which files may be transferred to Family Tree DNA, see: Autosomal Transfers.
Do you already have a Family Tree DNA account?
- Just click this link and follow the instructions:
2. When I join the project, will I have to maintain another family tree on this site?
No. If you already have a family tree on another site (e.g., Ancestry) just use your Family Tree DNA tree (called myFamilyTree) for a 5 or 6 generation pedigree. Only include direct ancestors. That information won't change, so you won't need to maintain it. Family Tree DNA also has a tool called Ancestral Names. We strongly encourage you to use that tool to enter all your ancestral surnames, so your matches can find you by any of your direct ancestors' surnames.
Here is Family Tree DNA's help page about myFamilyTree:
3. Is there a list of all group members and their contact information?
Unfortunately, no. Family Tree DNA only makes this information available to project administrators and co-administrators. But there are ways to find out about other members:
- We maintain a map of members' first names and their locations. (Go to the About link on the left, then choose the Results tab to get to this map.)
- We encourage you to introduce yourself and your research interests on our Activity Feed. This is a secure forum for members only.
- If you have an interest in a particular family line, a project administrator or co-administrator can put you in touch with other members with the same interest. Just contact one of us using the email links on the left-hand side of this page.
4. What is the General Fund?
This fund contains the generous donations of members and non-members to support genetic research into our surname lines.
These funds can be used to purchase or offset the cost of Family Tree DNA kits and upgrades. Use of the funds is at the discretion of project administrators. In general, they are used to extend a sale price for the purchase of new kits or upgrades between Family Tree DNA’s sale periods.
Please email the project administrator or co-administrator for more information. A project administrator must initiate a purchase from the General Fund for an approved request; the customer then pays the balance.