Welcome, visitor! The global Maness DNA Project (Manis, Manes, Manus, Manas, Mainous, Mainus, Maynus, etc.) aims to supplement genealogical research on Maness families with genetic evidence in hopes of further developing the Maness family tree.
At this time, definitive evidence is lacking for the origin(s) of the surname generally pronounced like Main´-us, with traditions in various family branches referring to Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Holland, France, and Germany as the place of origin. The spelling of this surname has varied, even amongst known relatives.
People who think they might bear any variation of the surname or descend from an ancestor who bore any variation of the surname from any part of the world are welcome and encouraged to participate in this Project!
Using DNA testing, the Maness Surname DNA Project can tell us which family lines are related, confirming or refuting lineages with established paper trails and pointing the way for further research for other lineages. It can also reveal particular DNA signature variations for particular family lines, enabling us to place previously unlinked families into their respective branches of the Maness family tree.
Males who descend from a Maness along their all-male ancestral line may participate in the project through Y-DNA testing.
Anyone who descends from a female Maness along his or her all-female ancestral line may participate in the project through Mitochondrial (mt) DNA testing.
Anyone who descends from a Maness along any of his or her ancestral lines may participate in the project through Family Finder (autosomal) DNA testing.
- Results Page
- Grouped Genealogical Information for tested Maness family lines
- Analysis for Specific Test Results
- Family Finder (Autosomal) DNA Comparison Chart
- Non-FTDNA DNA Results Charts
- Y-DNA (Male Line) Results Charts (for Family Tree DNA tests)
- Mitochondrial DNA (Female Line) Results Charts (for Family Tree DNA tests)
- Project Overview
- Project Background
- Project Goals
- Project News
- For those who are not logged in as members, the button to join our Group appears at the top of the page on the right side of the banner on our project web site.