9 March 2017: We now have confirmation the early Rhode Island Kenyons (descendants of John and James Kenyon) are testing positive for the SNP A6342. It is unknown at this time when the mutation for this SNP occurred. It is downstream of A1308. Currently, it seems to be seen only for the Rhode Island Kenyons, descendants of John and James. A1308>A6342.
20 November 2016: Results for the FGC5494 SNP Pack have come in for a few members. Preliminary results show that Kenyons with the 14-24-15 signature (ie DYS393 = 14) test positive for A1308. Estimates for that SNP date back roughly 650 years ago.
6 September 2015: Four members of the Kenyon Project currently have Big-Y results. This is a fair number of results for the project. Other members can "piggy-back" on their results, paying close attention to the most downstream SNPS.
Updating Classifications: As new results come in, classification of kits changes. We may add a kit to a group or add a new grouping. With new information comes greater refinement. We believe as a whole, the project is beginning to enter a new phase, where we are beginning to sort out lines with greater confidence.
BIG-Y Results and SNP testing:
Several members of the Kenyon Project have done Big-Y testing. One of them is project administrator Richard R. Kenyon. Two members were already identified as having L21 as their terminal SNP. Results of the testing led to this.
They discovered several matching novel variants and some non-matching variants. If you have any questions regarding Big Y testing or additional SNP testing for yourself, you can contact Richard or Marilyn. FTDNA has developed a panel of SNPs "downstream" of L21. You can order individual SNPs, for instance, FGC5494 and A1148 are currently available.
Haplogroups to date:
On your Y-DNA results page you will see a category for Haplogroups. FTDNA is actively working to update haplogroups as new findings are discovered. You may notice that your haplogroup is now defined by a positive (or presumed positive) SNP (Single Nucleotide Polymorphism). For example, R - L21 is a SNP that characterizes a major R haplogroup. Instead of using a long string of letters and numbers, your haplogroup is abbreviated by the last major SNP which tests positive. FTDNA offers individual SNP testing for those of you who are looking to extend or verify your haplogroup. This area of research is evolving so fast; it is recommended that you join a haplogroup to keep up with the latest announcements, as well as get recommendations on any individual SNP tests you may be considering.
STR Matching of Individual Kits: Note the color-coding coincides with the color coding on the colorized results page.
I. English Line: John Kenyon, born 1636, Lower Darwen, Lancashire England (Forest Green)
- Test Kit 116159: This result is for Henry Kenyon, born 1799, Derbyshire, England, who was married to Sarah Briddon.
II. Chipping/Thornley-with -Wheatley, Lancashire, England (Cyan)
- Test Kit N216036: This result is for known ancestor Robert Kenyon c 1771-1854
III. Immigrant from Liverpool (Green)
- Kit 355980: Thomas Kenyon, born Liverpool England, died 1843.
Iv. Immigrant from Liverpool (Light Green)
Kit 649250 John Kenyon, born 1821, Liverpool England
V. K-Line Roger Kenyon of Perquimans County, North Carolina (Aqua Marine)
- Kit 428606: Roger Kenyon b. about 1680 Perquimans, NC
VI(a). American Line for Immigrant John Kenyon (Fushia)
- Test Kit 638334, a descendant of John Kenyon of Rhode Island. No other lineage information provided.
- Test Kits 51572, B11382, and 203527 are descendants of HNK 12- James Kenyon/Kinyon, born 1684-5, as listed in American Kenyons, page 59. based on Y-DNA STR marker values. These include DYS 385 = 11-11 or 11-12 and DYS 439 = 13. All three of his son's descendant lines show these two distinctive mutations. Which of his sons Benoni Kinyon descends is still to be determined, although there is a perfect match at 37 markers to the 124- line.
Test kit 556718: Results are for a descendant of HNK 124- Abiel Kenyon, born 1733, Rhode Island as listed in American Kenyons on page 75.
- Test Kit 512674: These results are for a descendant of HNK 121- Benjamin Kenyon, born 1720, South Kingstown, Rhode Island, as listed in American Kenyons on page 74.
- Test Kit 260401: These results are for a descendant of HNK 11111 John Kenyon, born 1760, married to Hannah Crandall, as listed in American Kenyons on page 94. He was a patriot in the American Revolution.
Test Kit B12562: These results are for a descendant of HNK 11353 Samuel Kenyon, born 1790, Connecticut, married to Polly Brownson, as listed in Author's Supplement on pages 23 and 29.
Test Kit 308688: These results are for a descendant of the HNK 173 Samuel Kenyon, died 1801, married to Elizabeth Lewis.
- Test Kits 114135 and 293789 are descendants of Lyman Kenyon. They are believed to be descendants of HNK 1735 Barnabas Kenyon, through his first son Barnabas Kenyon who married Betsey Parkhurst. Barnabas Kenyon is listed in American Kenyons, page 124.
Test Kit 293790: This result is for a descendant of HNK 1735 Barnabas Kenyon, through his second son Randall Kenyon, who married Elizabeth Hill. Barnabas Kenyon is listed in American Kenyons, page 124. He was a Patriot in the American Revolution, serving in Rhode Island.
- Test Kit 535186: This result is for a descendant of HNK 1735 Barnabas Kenyon through his third son HNK 17353 Samuel Kenyon who married Freedom Gilman.
- Test Kit 31522: This result is for descendant of HNK 1351 Thomas Barber Kenyon, born 1780, married to Rachel Allen, as listed in the American Kenyons on page 110.
- Test Kit 321315: This result is for a descendant of HNK 1311 Joshua Kinyon, born 1739, as listed in American Kenyons on page 75.
Test Kit 267739: These results are for a descendant of HNK 1412 Thomas Webster Kinyon, born 1758 RI, married to Sylvia Saunders, as listed on page 111 American Kenyons. In the book, Thomas Webster Kinyon is listed as a Revolutionary War veteran.
- Test Kit 105330: These results for a descendant of HNK 164 Robert Kenyon, of Onondaga County, New York,as listed in the American Kenyons, pages 62 and 83 and in the Author's Supplement, page 37. listing of HNK 16422 for Robert Kenyon of Onondaga County, believed to be Robert Kenyon III, son of Robert Kenyon II, son of Robert Kenyon.
- Test Kit 638334: These results are for a descendant of HNK 1641 line, Samuel Kinyon (Kenyon), born in Rhode Island. He is later seen in 1820 living in Otisco, Onondaga County, New York. Some members of the family settling in Cattaraugus County, New York.
Test Kit 263582: These results are for a descendant of HNK 1632 line, David Kenyon, born 1759, buried in Warren County, New York. He was married to Mary Rogers, as listed in American Kenyons, page 116. He was a patriot in the American Revolution. The author of American Kenyons, Howard N. Kenyon (HNK) was a descendant of this line, listing himself as #16325114 in the book, page 230.
- Test Kit 422962: These results are for a descendant of HNK 1632 line, David Kenyon, through Pennewell Rogers Kenyon, born 1805, as listed in the American Kenyons, pages 116 and 117.
- Test Kit 44334: These results are for a descendant of HNK 17111 Simon Kenyon, born 1789, married to Mary Brightman. He is listed in the American Kenyons, pages 122 and 166. He lived in Hopkinton, Rhode Island.
Test Kit 505397: These results are for a descendant of HNK 17112 Benjamin Aldrich Kenyon, born 1795. He is listed in the American Kenyons, page 122.
- Test Kit 178216: This is a descendant of Amos W. Kenyon, born about 1800, New York. He seems likely to be a descendant of the immigrant John Kenyon, but his specific line has not been identified to date.
- Test Kit 152411: This is a descendant of Austin Pardon Kenyon, born 1820 Madison County, New York. At this point, his specific line has not been identified.
- Test Kit 70448
Test Kit 389276: This result is for a descendant of Nathan Kenyon, born about 1803, New York, married to Nancy, born about 1804. They lived in Independence, Allegany County, New York. There is also a circumstantial case further back to William H. Kenyon, born about 1764. Rhode Island to Patience Lillibridge.
VII(a). American Line for Immigrant James Kenyon, born 1657. (Plum)
Test Kit 314752: These results are for a descendant of HNK 25221 Nathaniel Kenyon, born about 1788, married to Polly Webster. The father, Nathaniel Kenyon, born 1764, died 1849, Lee, Oneida, New York, is listed in the American Kenyons, page 129. He is also listed in the History and Genealogy of the Gov. John Webster Family of Connecticut, by William Holcomb Webster, 1915, pp 12, 1159 and 1160.
VII(b). Believed to be Rhode Island Kenyon, likely descendant of James Kenyon, DYS 576 = 18(Lavender)
Test Kit 63460: It seems he might be in the 2-line and is definitely in the C-Line.
- Test Kit 325548: This is a descendant of Frank Kenyon, born about 1860, residing in Massachusetts and Mary E. Cooke. His specific line has not been identified to date.
- Test Kit 214841: This is a descendant of James Kinyon 1789 RI – 1862 WI, which is currently identified as the Q-line.
VIII. English Line (Blue)
Test Kit 349856
VIIII. James Kenyon (White)
Test Kit 314736
X. Chauncey Kenyon, born 1813/14 (Light Grey)
- Test Kit 223775: This is for a descendant of Chauncey Kenyon, born about 1813, died in Wisconsin.
XI. Joseph Kinyon (Ivory)
- Kit s 227887 and 210894: Joseph Kinyon, b 1781 d 1844.
This is a category for results not yet categorized, those without matching surname, including those with an autosomal connection to the Kenyon surname, or those with fewer than 37 markers.
Note: Project results were submitted by Marilyn A. Kenyon, Psy.D.
Information on lineage was provided to the project, either through GEDCOMs or correspondence. If there are any errors, changes, or omissions to any of the foregoing information, please contact one of the administrators for updates or changes you want made.
The value of Y-DNA testing is to confirm lineage in addition to finding matches; it can also bring to light flaws in lineage. It is provided to help you interpret your matches. The accuracy of lineages has not been verified.
Last updated: 7 April 2017