Gesher Galicia - Jewish DNA Project- Background
Alterman, Bader, Barasch, Ber, Birnbach, Blitzstein, Boral, Brajer, Burg, Byer, Cooper, Corbett, Davis, Deresiewicz, Derincovsky, Dershowitz, Dick, Diener, Edgins, Ehrlich, Einstein, Eisner, Escover, Fayn, Fenichel, Fern, Fiol, Fränkel, Fruchter, Galicia, Gallinger, Gans, Geiger, Geller, Gesher_Galicia, Gleitman, Goldberg, Goldhamer, Goldhirsh, Goldstein, Goodman, Goren, Gorenstein, Gowarczyk, Greenberg, Greenzweig, Gross, Grosz, Gussow, Haas, Hammond, Heffler, Herold, Herszfeld, Herzlich, Hollander, Horowitz, Horvitz, Jewish, Kampel, Kanarek, Kandel, Kestenbaum, Kirstein, Klein, Klinger, Kramer, Kreindler, Krepp, Krepper, Kugler, Landau, Leibowitz, Levy, Loebman, Malter, Olinger, Ostrager, Pelliccioli, Ploin, Printz, Rosner, Rubin, Rudloff, Rudlow, Sahn, Salmon, San, Sann, Schiffman, Schneegurt, Schneider, Schon, Schreier, Schwartz, Sohn, Solomon, Stechenberg, Stecher, Stern, Storch, Streisand, Szmulewicz, Taub, Thier, Trachman, Turnheim, Vogel, Weinrauch, Weiss, Weisskirch, Zimmer, Zuckerberg
Gesher Galicia, Inc. is an organization that promotes Jewish genealogical and historical research in Galicia, a province of the former Austrian Empire. Its goals are to promote a forum for researchers to share information and to promote individual and group research of Galicia.
The Gesher Galicia Jewish DNA Project promotes genealogical DNA testing among those with Jewish ancestry from Galicia. The map below gives a general idea of the regions that this project covers. A complete list of 1877 Galicia administrative districts covered by this project can be found at http://www.jewishgen.org/galicia/towns/admin__dist_.html
How to Join:
- You should have confirmed Jewish ancestry from the geographic region described above, on your matrilineal or patrilineal line. Those who do not qualify for this project are encouraged to visit JewishGen's Genealogy by Genetics website at http://www.jewishgen.org/dna/ for other Jewish DNA projects, or Family Tree DNA's website for a comprehensive list of Family Tree DNA projects.
- We recommend a minimum of 37 markers for paternal lines and mtDNAPlus (HVR1 & HVR2) for maternal lines for the best results of this study. However, all qualifying individuals are welcome to participate with any test you can (or are willing to) afford. Those who start with lower level tests will have an opportunity to purchase upgrades later.
- After your results are in...
- Please specify your earliest known patrilineal and/or matrilineal ancestor(s) and the town they were from under the User Preferences tab of your myFTDNA webpage.
- Follow the instructions on your User Preferences page to specify the town of origin by latitude/longitude. This will mark your town on the member distribution map below.
- Upload a GEDCOM showing your qualifying patrilineal and/or matrilineal ancestry to your myFTDNA webpage.
Get a Free Site Counters
You should have confirmed Jewish ancestry from the geographic region described above, on your matrilineal or patrilineal line. Those who do not qualify for this project are encouraged to visit JewishGen's Genealogy by Genetics website at http://www.jewishgen.org/dna/ for other Jewish DNA projects, or Family Tree DNA's website for a comprehensive list of Family Tree DNA projects.
EXISTING FAMILY TREE DNA CUSTOMERS
Log in to your personal myFTDNA webpage. Click the blue JOIN button at the top left of the page. Scroll to the Dual Geographical Projects category and click the G link. Then click the "Gesher Galicia" link and follow the instructions to submit a join request.
EXISTING GENOGRAPHIC PROJECT PARTICIPANTS
If you have participated in the Genographic Project, but have not transferred your DNA results to Family Tree DNA yet, you must do so before you can join the Gesher Galicia DNA Project. Log in to your personal Genographic Project page and at the very bottom of your results page, you'll find a link to transfer your DNA results to Family Tree DNA. Follow the instructions and once your results have been transferred, continue by following the instructions above for existing Family Tree DNA customers.
If you have never purchased a Family Tree DNA or Genographic Project test kit, please use the link below to purchase a Family Tree DNA kit and join the Gesher Galicia DNA Project. FTDNA has offered us the following discounted group rates for this project:
Matrilineal (women & men):
mtDNA (HVR1): $129
mtDNAPlus (HVR1&2): $189 Recommended!
mtFullSequence (complete mtDNA): $495
Patrilineal (men only):
Y-DNA 12 Markers: $ 99
Y-DNA 37 Markers: $189 Recommended!
Y-DNA 67 Markers: $269
Matrilineal & Patrilineal (men only):
Y-DNA12 + mtDNA: $199
Y-DNA37 + mtDNAPlus: $339
Y-DNA67 + mtDNAPlus: $409
Y-DNA67 + mtFullSequence: $764
Tests may be upgraded at a later date, after the initial test is complete. Special upgrade pricing will apply.
Matrilineal = Your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother, etc.
Patrilineal = Your father's father's father's father's father, etc.
How Many Markers? The more markers you test, the more recently related your matches will be. If you match a person with a different surname as you at only 12 markers, your connection to that person may be well over 1000 years ago, well before reasonable genealogical timeframes. However, a match at 37 markers or more generally indicates a relationship within the past few hundred years. Therefore, we recommend at least 37 markers for this project.
TO PURCHASE A DNA KIT
AND JOIN THE GESHER GALICIA DNA PROJECT
|Combined GEDCOMs Uploaded
|Distinct mtDNA Haplogroups
|Distinct Y-DNA Confirmed Haplogroups
|Distinct Y-DNA Predicted Haplogroups
|Genographic 2.0 Transfers
|Maternal Ancestor Information
|mtDNA Full Sequence
|Paternal Ancestor Information
|Predicted Y-DNA Haplogroups
|Unpredicted Y-DNA Haplogroups
|Y-DNA Deep Clade (After 2008)
|Y-DNA Deep Clade (Prior to 2008)