Gauss/Gaus/Gausz Y-DNA Project - Results

Summary of results

Now with 11 results (12 in the Results tables as one person is duplicated), only two participants show a definite relationship.

The following table shows the probabilities based on a 12-marker test of each pair of participants having a common ancestor within 24 generations, or, if we assume 25 years per generation, then since about the year 1400.

 

47931

48102

57430

60363

148416

179594

211434

241953

388921

N123942

41340

0.00%

0.00%

0.04%

0.00%

35.04%

15.04%

0.06%

0.00%

0.04%

0.00%

47931

 

5.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

48102

 

 

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

1.02%

0.00%

0.01%

57430

 

 

 

0.00%

0.00%

0.04%

0.03%

0.00%

91.41%

0.00%

60363

 

 

 

 

0.00%

0.00%

0.00%

4.13%

0.00%

69.20%

148416

 

 

 

 

 

14.48%

1.21%

0.00%

0.00%

0.03%

179594

 

 

 

 

 

 

17.16%

0.00%

0.04%

0.00%

211434

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0.02%

0.03%

0.02%

241953

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0.00%

13.93%

388921

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0.00%


Most pairs have a negligible chance of a common ancestor within 24 generations, four pairs have about a 15% chance, one pair a 35% chance, one pair a 69% chance and one a 91% chance.  Even with a 69% chance that still means a significant 31% chance of
not having a common ancestor within the last 600 years.  In the case of the pair with the 35% chance, this actually reduces to 9.48% if the 37-marker tests are compared, but of the two with the 69% chance one has only had a 12-marker test so no finer comparison is possible.  However, the pair, 57430 and 388921, can be compared on a 67-marker test and that yields a 99% chance them having a common ancestor within 12 generations.

Four of the eleven are Haplogroup I, which tends to be more prevalent in Northern and Eastern Europe, three E, which seems to be rare outside Africa, and the remaining four R, which is more prevalent in Western and Eastern Europe.  Another participant, who has not had the STR test above, is J.  In southern Germany, where there is the greatest concentration of the surname Gauss, about 58% of men are Haplogroup R, 18% I, 8% E and 6.5% J. 

If we exclude 241953, who is known to have a female Gauss link, then assuming the remaining ten of us are male ‘Gausses’ back to the dawn of surnames, then it is clear from the results that the name has multiple origins and that we are not all descended from a single individual.  Given that so far only two out of the ten are certain to be related, there are likely to be considerably more than ten distinct Gauss lineages.  In fact (if my statistical analysis is right!), to have a greater than 50% chance of picking ten persons at random from different lineages, from a large pool of individuals of each lineage, and getting only one match would require in excess of 68 lineages.  (To clarify this, supposing there were only 10 lineages, then the chance of picking randomly one person from each of 8 with no duplicates, would be only 2%.  In other words, there would be a 98% chance that at least two of the eight would share a lineage.)  This suggests that there could well have been more than 70 individuals with the surname Gauss from whom all present day Gausses are descended. 

With this conclusion of a multiple origin, comes the need for a multiple origin of the surname.  The most plausible meaning of ‘gauss’ is that it is the Swabian dialect word for ‘goose’ and as such perhaps became the surname of numerous gooseherds in the area.  But even then, the surname for over 70 unrelated individuals?  If anyone has a more plausible conclusion, please let me know!


Participants

41340: The descent back to Florian Gauss runs through many generations living in Württemberg and is well documented, though of course there could have easily been an illegitimacy or adoption which is not recorded as such.

47931: Has an origin in Baden, Germany.

48102: Stephen Gauss is known to have come from Croatia, and the closest matches on the YSearch database are also mainly from Slavic Eastern Europe. This suggests that his surname was either a Croatian name which happens to have been spelt the same way as the German name (there were 10 families with the name in the area at the time), or that an emigré German adopted a Croatian boy, either knowingly or through illegitimacy.

57430: Does not know much about where his ancestors came from, other than from Germany.

60363: Has an origin in Felldorf, Württemberg, Germany.

148416: Has an uncertain origin, probably English or German.

179594: Has an origin in Baden, Germany.

211434/N88454: Has an origin in Croatia.

241953: Has an origin in Württemberg, Germany, but through a female Gauss.

388921: Has a presumed origin in Germany.

N121723: Has a presumed origin in Germany.

N123942: Has an origin in Germany, but location uncertain.


(Updated 14 Jan 2016)