Code of Conduct
Project PurposeThe Scandinavian Y-DNA project exists:
- For the benefit of all project members.
- To help members understand their results.
- To advance research.
- Membership in the project is FREE --though the DNA tests are not.
- We do not charge for our interpretation.
Project MembershipThe project is open to all Family Tree DNA clients who meet one of these qualifications:
- Have a direct paternal line from Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland.
- Have Y-DNA results that indicate they may be part of Greater Scandinavia due to migrations into and out of Scandinavia.
Project Leadership TeamThe Scandinavian Y-DNA project is run by a team of administrators, co-administrators, and advisers. Nobody on the team receives compensation from Family Tree DNA for their work. That is, we are unpaid volunteers.
Project Guests & Results AccessProject members’ results with their consent are shown on the project website. However, they maintain full ownership of those results. By accessing results, you agree:
- Project members' privacy must be maintained.
- Racism and xenophobia will not be tolerated.
- The project access does not permit for profit use.
- Do not use it for paid interpretation services.
- Do not use it to recruit clients.
- Clear use and attribution in publication.
- In publications and blog posts the project must be cited as a source.
- The researcher will make it clear that they are a guest to the project.
- Project results must never be used for medical or forensic research.
- Get Informed Consent from project members before allowing their results to be used outside of the project.
- Inform all project members of policy changes.
Project CommunicationsThe project has three main communication methods. The project periodically publishes newsletters through the http://haplogroup.org website. The sending email for the newsletters is firstname.lastname@example.org.
The project leadership team believes that positive communication is part of building a strong project. Positive collaborative communication is expected from all members of the team and all project members. Specifically:
- Be gentle with each other. Be kind to yourself. Be compassionate to all.
- There are no stupid or bad questions. If you want to know, surely others do too. Ask!
- Don't post content in group forums that will have to be removed. This includes, company bashing, people bashing, SPAM, profanity, the names of living people without their permission, and anything that violates the productive community standards.
Project Results DisplayProject results are displayed on the project's web page to project members, the project leadership team, and our approved guests (see above). This is an example of Y-DNA STR Results.
Y-STR Results Example (not real names).
Information includes the kit number, the surname (Name), the ancestor information, the haplogroup, and Y-STR results. This is an example of Y-DNA SNP Results.
Y-SNP Results Example (not real names).
Information includes the kit number, the surname (Last Name), the ancestor information, the haplogroup, and Y-SNP results. This is an example of the Results Map.
Map Results Example (not real names).
Information includes the kit number, the surname (Last Name), the ancestor information, and the haplogroup.