How to Participate
- yDNA paternal participants must provide a sample from a male descendant of a FERGUS(S)ON or some variant thereof. Order either the "Y-DNA 37 marker" or better yet the "Big Y" paternal test from Family Tree DNA
- Interact with other participants via our members only Facebook Group
- Participants are required to provide the particulars on their Fergus(s)on ancestry for listing in our forthcoming pedigree tables. This serves not only the main purpose of the project but also as a recruitment tool in that someone using an internet search engine can discover a lineage of interest in the project and then be inclined to join.
- Foremost among our goals is use of DNA as a tool to supplement conventional genealogy. The comparisons made with other participants is very strong at showing two people are unrelated providing then a means of discovering errors.
- Create a database of DNA corresponding to different Scottish and Irish subdivisions such as those discussed in Records of the Clan and Name of Fergusson, Ferguson and Fergus, by James Ferguson and Robert Menzies Fergusson, Edinburgh, 1895.
- See if a linkage can be established between Irish and Scottish Fergus(s)ons. Due to a lack of records, Fergus(s)ons of Irish descent are generally unable to demonstrate that their ancestors emigrated from Scotland to Ireland as is generally assumed.
- Develop a means for African American Fergus(s)on to pursue their genetic ancestry.
- Haplogroups E through J - see "Goals" tab
- Haplogroup R - see "News" and "Results" tabs