The Big Y product is a Y-chromosome direct paternal lineage test. We have designed it to explore deep ancestral links on our common paternal tree. Big Y tests thousands of known branch markers as well as millions of places where there may be new branch markers. It is intended for expert users with an interest in advancing science.
It may also be of great interest to genealogy researchers of a specific lineage. It is not, however, a test for matching you to one or more men with the same surname in the way of our Y-DNA37 and other tests.
You may learn more about the methodology and science behind the Big Y test by reading our Big Y white paper published August 28, 2014.
Any male Family Tree DNA customer with a complete Y-STR test may order the Big Y product. However, we do ask that you consider carefully before ordering.
- A high quality sample is needed for Big Y. Therefore, the person tested should be willing and able to provide a new DNA sample if needed.
- All customers are strongly encouraged to seek the guidance of a Y-DNA haplogroup project administrator before ordering.
- Most results interpretation for Big Y will come from volunteer project administrators, including Y-DNA haplogroup administrators.
- Sign in to your myFTDNA account.
- Click the blue Upgrade button in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Look for the Father’s Line section, and click the blue price button, which will open the shopping cart for you to complete your order.
- Targeted Non-recombining Y-DNA sequencing.
- Illumina HiSeq 200.
- 55X to 80X average coverage.
- Around 11.5 to 12.5 million base-pairs of reliably mapped positions of non-recombining Y chromosome.
- Analyzed using Arpeggi genome analysis technology for improved variant calls.
All samples are processed in-house using our custom laboratory methods and informatics. Your sample never leaves our company and is never shared with outside vendors..
Geno 2.0 is microarray chip based and programmed for specific SNPs. Big Y is a next-generation sequence-based test.