The BIG Y product is a direct paternal lineage test. We have designed it to explore deep ancestral links on our common paternal tree. It tests both thousands of known branch markers and millions of places where there may be new branch markers. We intend it for expert users with an interest in advancing science.
It may also be of great interest to genealogy researchers of a specific lineage. It is not however a test for matching you to one or more men with the same surname in the way of our Y-DNA37 and other tests.
Any male Family Tree DNA customer may order the BIG Y product. However, we do ask that you consider carefully before ordering.
- A high quality sample is needed for BIG Y. Therefore, the person tested should be willing and able to provide a new DNA sample if needed.
- All customers are strongly encouraged to seek the guidance of a Y-DNA haplogroup project administrator before ordering.
- Most results interpretation for BIG Y will come from volunteer project administrators including Y-DNA haplogroup administrators.
- BIG Y is in BETA development, those who order now should expect to be part of the new product development process.
Any male Family Tree DNA customer may order the BIG Y product through their myFTDNA account. To do so:
- Login to your myFTDNA account. (https://www.familytreedna.com/login.aspx)
- On the top, right of the homepage, look for the orange Order an Upgrade button.
- Click the button to access the Upgrade page.
- Look for the Standard Orders section, and click the Order a Standard Test button.
- On the Select A Product page, look for the product dropdown menu. Use it to select Big Y.
- Click the Next button at the bottom of the page to continue to the checkout wizard and complete your order.
- Targeted Non-recombining Y-DNA sequencing
- Illumina HiSeq 2000
- 55X to 80X average coverage
- Around 11.5 to 12.5 million base-pairs of reliably mapped positions of non-recombining Y-Chromosome
- Analyzed using Arpeggi genome analysis technology for improved variant calls
All samples are processed in-house using our custom laboratory methods and informatics. Your sample never leaves our company and is never shared with outside vendors.
Geno 2.0 is microarray chip based and programmed for specific SNPs. BIG Y is a next-generation sequence-based test.