The Big Y product is a direct paternal lineage test. We have designed it to explore deep ancestral links on our common paternal tree. It tests both thousands of known branch markers and millions of places where there may be new branch markers. We intend it for expert users with an interest in advancing science.
How to Access the Big Y – Results Page
To access the Big Y – Results page:
- Sign in to your myFTDNA account.
- In the upper-left corner, on the menu bar, click myFTDNA > myDNA > BIG-Y > Results.
Big Y – Results
The Big Y – Results page contains the following tabs and buttons:
- Known SNPs – Displays your single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) that are on the list of ~36,000 known SNPs against which Big Y data is compared.
- Novel Varients - Displays your SNP markers that are not on the list of ~36,000 known SNPs. These markers may or may not be unique to you as an individual. Men in related lineages may share some novel variants. As men from distantly related lineages test, SNP markers may be moved from the Novel Variants to Known SNPs.
- Matching – Displays Big Y matches. A person is considered a match if they have four or less differences in SNPs with you.
Note: In the list above, click on the name of a tab to navigate to a complete explanation of that tab.
- White Paper – Click to view the Big Y white paper, an introduction to the science behind Big Y.
- Reset – Click to reset the column filters in the results table.
- Haplotree – Click to go to your Y-DNA haplotree.
- Export (CSV) – Click to download all of your Big Y SNP information to a .CSV file.
- Download Raw Data – Click to download a .ZIP file of your results.