The mtDNA – Haplogroup Origins page allows you to view the haplogroup information for your matches from one of our mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) tests.
- Haplogroup – This is your matches’ haplogroup as determined by their Backbone SNP testing or their mtDNA full sequence test results.
- Country – This is your matches’ maternal country of origin.
- Comment – This is additional information such as a social, religious, or ethnic group each match has provided.
- Match Total – This is the total number of matches.
mtDNA – Haplogroup Origins Page Questions
On the mtDNA – Haplogroup Origins page, in addition to exact mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) matches from both our customer and our academic databases, this includes matching to those academic samples that have only tested part of HVR1.
For matches to other Family Tree DNA customers, there are two sets of rules.
- For those who have tested HVR1 (mtDNA) or HVR1 and HVR2 (mtDNAPlus), only exact matches are shown. SmartMatching is also used to prevent a match between different haplogroups.
- For those who have tested the mtDNA Full Sequence (mtFullSequence), four differences are allowed. These differences include cases of heteroplasmy. Two high frequency insertion/deletion locations are completely excluded from difference counts. These are mutations at positions 309 and 315.