Family Finder – Matches lists your autosomal DNA matches. The top section of the page allows you to filter your matches; the bottom section displays your Family Finder matches. If you wish to download your matches, use the CSV button or Excel button at the bottom of the page.
There are four ways to filter your matches: 1) Relations, 2) Sort By, 3) Name, and 4) Ancestral Surnames. Click “Advanced Search” to access options 2 and 4.
The following Relations options are available:
- Show All Matches – Displays your genetic matches cousins at all levels of matching.
- Immediate Relative – Displays your matches in the Immediate Relative range.
- Close Relative – Displays your matches in the Close Relatives range.
- Close and Immediate – Displays your matches in both the Close Relatives and the Immediate Relatives ranges.
- Distant Relative – Displays your matches in the Distant Relative range.
- Speculative Relative – Displays your matches in the Speculative Relative range.
- X-Matches – Displays your matches who also match with you on the X chromosome.
- Common Surname – Displays matches who have a name on their Surnames list that matches (by soundex*) a surname on your Surnames list.
- Linked Relationship – Displays matches who you have linked on your Family Tree.
- New Since – Displays new matches from a specific date. Click this option to display a date box. Enter the earliest date for which you want to view matches, and then press Enter on your keyboard.
Note: For a description of Immediate, Close, Distant, and Speculative relatives, click here to see the Family Finder possible relationships.
The following Sort By options are available:
- Name – Sorts your matches alphabetically by last name (A – Z).
- Match Date – Sorts your matches by match date.
- Relationship Range – Sorts your matches by relationship range.
- Shared cM – Sorts your matches by the sum of shared autosomal DNA measured in centiMorgans (cM).
- Longest Block – Sorts your matches by the longest segment of shared autosomal DNA.
- Y-DNA Haplogroup – Sorts your matches by Y-DNA Haplogroup.
- mtDNA Haplogroup – Sorts your matches by mtDNA Haplogroup.
The Name filter allows you to limit matches to those who have a specific name. To filter by name, type a name into the box “Search name or ancestral surname” and click or press Enter on your keyboard.
The Ancestral Surnames filter allows you to limit matches to those who have a specific ancestral surname in their account. To enter an ancestral surname, type it into the box “Search name or ancestral surname” or click “Advanced Search” and enter it here, then click or press Enter on your keyboard.
* Soundex is a method of indexing names so that names that are similar in pronunciation are grouped together.
The “Chromosome Browser”, “In Common With”, and “Not In Common With” functions allow you to compare selected matches with yourself and/or others in your list. Note: You may only select up to five matches at a time.
- Chromosome Browser – Select up to five people to view in the Chromosome Browser by clicking in the box to the right of the name.
- In Common With – Click to view the matches you have in common with your selected match (you must have at least one match selected to use this feature).
- Not In Common With – Click to view the matches you do not have in common with your selected match (you must have at least one match selected to use this feature).
Family Matching Sort Tabs – You may view your matches in one of four ways:
- All – Displays all your DNA matches.
- Paternal – Displays only matches on your paternal side.
- Maternal – Displays only matches on your maternal side.
- Both – Displays matches who match you on both your paternal and your maternal sides (this may include your children and siblings).
To learn how to activate this feature, click Family Matching Tool
Character Card – Features an overview of information about your match. The Character Card includes the following:
- Match’s name.
- Match’s picture if he/she has uploaded an image.
- A link to the match’s personal profile. Click on their name to view their profile.
- A symbol indicating whether your match is Paternal ( ), Maternal ( ), or Both ( ).
- A link to the match’s email address (). Hover your cursor over ; your match’s email is displayed on the lower left corner of the window. Your match’s email address is also displayed on their profile.
- A link to add/view a note ().
- A link to the match’s GEDCOM/Family Tree. When available, the icon is blue (). A gray icon () indicates the match does not have a Family Tree available.
- Match Date – Date on which you and your genetic relative were matched in the Family Tree DNA database.
- Relationship Range – Displays the relationship range for you and your match. Family Finder predicts that your actual relationship is highly likely to fall within the displayed upper and lower limits.
- Shared centiMorgans – Displays the sum of autosomal DNA, measured in centiMorgans (cM), that you and your genetic match share.
- Longest Block – This is the longest segment of autosomal DNA, in centiMorgans (cM), shared by you and your genetic match.
- X-Match – Displayed only if you and your genetic relative match on the X chromosome.
- Linked Relationship – Displays the genealogical relationship for matches that are linked on your Family Tree. If you do not have a match linked, you can click the icon displayed in this column to link the match on your Family Tree. Linked matches are also listed on the Family Finder – Linked Relationships page.
Note: You can also click the icon displayed in this column to add a match to your family tree. Matches added this way are automatically linked.
- Ancestral Surnames – Displays the ancestral surnames that your match has added on their account. When you and your match have a common ancestral surname listed, the surname is displayed in bold.
Note: The Match Date, Relationship Range, Shared cM, Longest Block, X-Match, and Known Relationship columns may be sorted in ascending or descending order. To sort a column in ascending order, click on the column header (the name of the column). To sort the column in descending order, click the column header a second time.
- Tests Taken – Displays the standard tests that your match has taken (other than the Family Finder test). N/A specifies that the match has not taken any additional tests.
- Paternal (Y) and Maternal (mt) Haplogroups) – Displays your match’s Y-DNA and/or mtDNA haplogroup if they have completed a complete Y-DNA or mtDNA test with Family Tree DNA. Please note this indicates that they have tested, and not that they match your haplogroup. To verify if they match with you on Y-DNA or mtDNA, you can check on the respective matches page or on the Advanced Matches page.