In order to activate this feature, you must have linked at least one maternal and/or paternal match on your family tree. This step is required in order to enable the Family Matching sort tabs.
These instructions will guide you through 1) Linking Manually, 2) Linking via “drag and drop” and 3) Unlinking matches:
1) Activating the Parental Sort Tabs Feature by manually linking matches through the “link” function. Matches who have previously been linked or unlinked to your profile will display a purple button next to their profile picture enabling you to link to that person. To use this method to populate matches in the “Paternal,” “Maternal,” and “Both” tabs, follow these steps:
- Go to your Family Tree from your FTDNA Dashboard.
- Click the linking button on those members of your family tree who have taken a Family Tree DNA test. Note that only by adding members from both your paternal and maternal sides will both tabs be activated. For example, if you add family members exclusively from your maternal side, only the maternal tab will populate with matches.
Confirm that you want to link this person to your family tree.
Confirm again that you wish to link this person to your family tree by clicking the blue “Link” button.
- A match that has been successfully linked to your Family Tree will now display which tests that person has completed with Family Tree DNA.
- You can now return to your matches page to view the populated Family Matching sort tabs.
2) Using the “drag and drop” function in your Family Tree. To link DNA matches in your profile with the drag and drop option, follow these steps:
- From your dashboard, click on the myFamilyTree button.
- Click the DNA Matches button at the top left of your screen; a slide-in menu will appear.
In the menu, select the name of the match you wish to link. Click and drag the selected match to the person with whom they have a direct relationship (mother, father, sibling, spouse, son or daughter).
Select the relationship of the match you are linking. (If you do not wish to send an email notification to the match being added, please “un-check” the optional box at the bottom).
Once the match is successfully linked, the person’s profile image will indicate which Family Tree DNA test(s) have been completed.
3) Unlinking Matches in your Family Tree. To “unlink” DNA matches, follow these steps:
Click on this person’s image, then click “View Profile”.
On the left, click the purple option which states “Unlink this person.”
Confirm that you wish to unlink this person by clicking the red “Unlink” button.
For more behind-the-scenes details on our Family Matching tool, click here