Group projects are an opportunity to work with others to explore your genetic heritage. They are usually focused on a common geographic origin, surname, or ethnic heritage. They may also be based on some other aspect of a paternal or maternal lineage.
Family Tree DNA encourages customers’ participation in lineage and geographical projects. By transferring routine data management tasks to project administrators, we are able to offer a discounted testing rate to those who order through a project. Membership is FREE and voluntary. You may join or leave a project at any time.
Those who take a Y-Chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) Test may join:
- Paternal lineage projects such as a Surname Project for all who have the same surname or a variant. Paternal lineage projects may also be a project specific to a suspected shared ancestor.
- Y-Chromosome Geographical Projects to verify a possible point of origin for the paternal line.
- After testing, you may join a Y-Chromosome Haplogroup project to explore your haplogroup in a historic context.
Those who take a mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) Test may join:
- Maternal Lineage Projects for individuals that have or suspect having the same maternal line.
- Mitochondrial Geographical Projects to verify a possible point of origin for the maternal line.
- After testing, you may join an mtDNA Haplogroup project to explore your haplogroup in a historic context.