Welcome to myOrigins!
myOrigins is the updated version of Family Tree DNA’s Population Finder. It allows you to see your ethnic makeup and is included with every Family Finder test.
To access myOrigins:
- Sign in to your myFTDNA account.
- On the menu bar, click myFTDNA > MyDNA > Family Finder > myOrigins.
The first big change you will notice is the interactive map with your population clusters. Each of these clusters represent one of your genetic populations with the the most opaque colors representing your most dominant populations. In addition, you will see:
1. Your name in the upper left corner with your populations listed below.
2. Each of your primary ethnic groups can be expanded by clicking the + symbol next to the colored bar.
3. You can hide your populations by clicking the - symbol to the right of your name.
4. In the lower left corner, you will see how you compare to your matches. There are several exciting features in this section for you to explore.
5. You can minimize this section by clicking the - symbol in the lower right of the bar.
6. If you click on Your Ancestral History, you will see brief descriptions of each of the 22 clusters. You can also view these descriptions by clicking on each cluster or on the cluster names in your chart in the upper left corner.
7. In the lower right corner, you will see an orange pin and a green pin. Clicking on either of these will place a marker for each of your matches. These are the most distant ancestor data reported by your Family Finder matches for their paternal line and maternal line.
8. In the upper right corner, you will see a link to take you back to your homepage. myOrigins has several exciting new features to explore. We recommend you click around and enjoy the new layout.
To see all the descriptions of the population clusters, see the Population Clusters in myOrigins entry.