Welsh Patronymics DNA Project - Goals
1. The main goal of the project is to assist families with Welsh surnames to find both both male-line and female-line relatives, regardless of whether they have the same surname or not. Given the length of time the patronymic naming system persisted in Wales, matches among people with different surnames can occur with increased frequency in such a project.
2. To discover which haplogroups and sub-clades can be found in Wales and to learn more about their distribution.
3. To enable researchers to connect with their genetic cousins.
4. To help break down brick walls caused by the use of patronymic surnames, or by adoption or illegitimacy.
5. To verify existing documentary research.
6. To provide clues for further documentary research by identifying the possible location of earlier ancestors.
7. To provide a repository for DNA haplotypes from Wales and border areas.