Walker Surname DNA Project Results
WALKER DNA PROJECT UPDATE 2013
HAPPY NEW YEAR......
With the beginning of the new year, we thought the timing was right to update you on the Walker Surname DNA Project. We have been an ongoing project since January 1, 2001 when Suzanne and Barbara received their account information and passwords from FTDNA.
Thanks to the recent sale on some DNA tests, we have more kits at the lab waiting to be returned than I have ever seen before. Many of you have ordered upgrades, SNP or Deep Clade Testing, mtDNA, and/or Family Finder Tests. We hope the results have been helpful to you.
The recently added Family Finder test has had a good reception and 88 members of our project have already tested. Anyone who has tested at 23andme can now enter their results into FTDNA Family Finder and broaden the scope of their testing. This test has been especially useful for female participants whose mtDNA results are not as useful for genealogy as the male Y-DNA tests.
HAPLOGROUP AND SNP TESTING
Many Walker Project members have done the Deep Clade or other haplogroup testing. You can see who has tested and their results by selecting SNP on the Y-DNA Results pull down menu at the FTDNA Public Walker Project (link below). The map under that menu lets you select the Haplogroup and Lineage you want and see where members’ ancestors were located – assuming they have entered that information. If you are interested in your deep ancestry or want to test for your terminal SNP for some other reason, we highly recommend you join the applicable haplogroup project and ask for guidance from the project administrator.
The Walker DNA project has grown to 804 members who have completed and returned their kits. If you are interested in statistics for the project, these are the latest:
Statistic Type and Number of persons in that group
Distinct mtDNA Haplogroups 51
Distinct Y-DNA Confirmed Haplogroups 33
Distinct Y-DNA Predicted Haplogroups 17
Family Finder 88
Maternal Ancestor Information 253
Maternal GEDCOMs Uploaded 22
mtDNA Full Sequence 41
mtDNA Plus 87
mtDNA Subgroups 0
Paternal Ancestor Information 571
Paternal GEDCOMs Uploaded 56
Predicted Y-DNA Haplogroups 106
Total Members 804
Unpredicted Y-DNA Haplogroups 2
Unreturned Kits 52
Y-DNA Deep Clade (After 2008) 31
Y-DNA Deep Clade (Prior to 2008) 20
Y-DNA Subgroups 84
We only have 571 of you who have entered your paternal ancestor information. To enter or edit your MOST DISTANT ANCESTOR, log into your FTDNA account, using your kit number and password. Click the link to “MANAGE PERSONAL PROFILE” select “EDIT MOST DISTANT ANCESTORS”, enter or change the data and “SAVE” it.
YOUR PERSONAL FTDNA REPORTS WEB PAGE
You have access to your DNA results and explanations of how to interpret them on your personal page. You will need your kit number and password in order to access this page. If you have not taken advantage of the many items here, take a few minutes to log in and explore the new displays of information. Each of you has invested time and money in DNA testing, and hopefully you are taking every advantage it has to offer.
Please keep your e-mail address up to date on your personal page and also send it to one of your administrators to update your pedigree on our results web site. We do not have the ability to alter your information on your FTDNA web page, so it is your responsibility to keep your mailing and e-mail addresses up to date.
PUBLIC WEB SITE
The Walker project is in the forefront of sharing pedigrees of participants on a public web site so that we can share the information with a broader base of researchers. We have thousands of female researchers and male Walker descendants of female Walkers who have no male family representative to have tested for Y-DNA, and the pedigrees and groups give them an opportunity to find family matches that would otherwise be unavailable to them. Help us by sending in updates to your pedigree when you have new information, and if you have not yet sent in your pedigree for posting, make a New Year Resolution to send it to us so we can add it to the web site.
SUMMARY: TO DO LIST
1. Keep your e-mail address up to date.
2. Send your pedigree for posting if it is not on the web site.
3. Enter your ancestor information on your personal FTDNA page.
4. Upgrade your marker numbers to 67 markers.
Thank you for your participation in 2012. Let’s all work together to make this project even stronger in 2013.
Happy New Year from your volunteer project administrators.
Barbara Walker Good
Suzanne Walker Hallstrom
1. SUPPORT THE WALKER PROJECT WITH A CONTRIBUTION TO FUND Donations of any amount can be made to the Walker DNA project by clicking on the link at left. Any general funds donated will be used to fund select Walker DNA tests that will further our project as a whole. Donations can be specified for a particular Walker line if desired.
2. DISCLAIMER, CONDITIONS AND AGREEMENT The Walker Surname DNA Project organizers have no commercial affiliation with any profit making organization and receive no compensation for services or expenses involved with the project. At present, this web page is maintained for posting DNA results and pedigrees of participants who choose to make their information available. Although the Walker Project has arranged for discounts at FTDNA, that by no means suggests a business partnership or other relationship between the Project and the Laboratory. All funds are payable only and directly to the Laboratory. The Walker Project will not be the recipient nor steward of any DNA samples and has no responsibility for their care, handling or return to participant, nor duty to act on behalf of Participant in mediation of any dispute between the Participant and the Laboratory. While a match between two participants may indicate that they share a common male ancestor, it will not identify the specific ancestor and there is no guarantee that every participant will match another participant. By participation in the project, the participant agrees to all conditions of the Project.