Welcome to the webpage for the R-L554 Project.
L554 is a SNP at position 13532171 on the Y-chromosome. The ancestral allele at this position is A, whereas the L554 allele is G.
L554 was discovered in March 2011 during WTY testing of a person whose paternal ancestry is from southern England.
L554 is downstream of L21 as well as Z253, so everybody who is L554+ is also L21+ as well as Z253+. Hence R-L554 is within the R-Z253 subclade, which in turn is in the R-L21 subclade of Haplogroup R1b. If you are L21- then you are L554-.
If you are L21+ and also Z253+ then you may want to consider ordering a SNP test to determine whether you are positive or negative for L554. Some information about off-modal STR marker values that might be predictive of being positive for L554 is presented on the L554 page on the L21 Wiki
If you have tested positive for L554 then please join this project. You should also join the R-L21 Project
as well as the R-Z253 Project
Here's how to order the SNP test to determine your L554 status:
- Login to your personal page at www.familytreedna.com.
- Click on the orange "Order Upgrade" link at the right of the top menu.
- Click on "Order an Advanced Test".
- Choose "SNP" from the "Test Type" drop-down list.
- Enter "L554" in the "Marker" field and then click "Find".
- Click "Add" to add the L554 test to your shopping cart.
- Click the "Next" button and then proceed to pay for the test.
To donate to the general fund please