This project gathers, presents and analyses the STR results from those of ALL clusters that have tested positive
for the L226 SNP marker, in order to better understand the origin and distribution of the L226 SNP.
Where is L226+ found?
When the new SNP was discovered in the Irish Type III Walk The Y
candidate, there were three
1. L226 is a Private SNP found only
in the candidate's close family.
2. L226 occurs across the whole of Irish Type III and is definitive for this haplogroup.
3. L226 occurs more generally below L21 in several clusters including Irish Type III.
Which of these three Options is Correct?
We see positive L226 results for all Irish Type III who have tested so Option 1
is not correct.
There have been hundreds of negative results, and NO
positive results returned for non-Irish Type III L21+ men, so Option 3
is not correct either.
Is L226 the defining SNP for any L21+ clusters?
L226 is now confirmed to be the definitive SNP for the Irish Type III haplogroup as no other L21+ clusters have recorded L226+ results to date. L226 has been recognised as such by ISOGG.
How can I test for L226?
L226 can be ordered from your FTDNA Personal Page, / yDNA / Haplotree / and under 'Choose your own SNPs', click on 'Order SNPs Now'
Now scroll down the chart to [L226!] in Orange near the bottom.
Click on this and it will appear in the list above the chart. Now click on the 'Continue Order' button to process your order.
If your STR markers show that you are of the Irish Type III cluster, then ordering a Deep Clade or Geno 2.0 test is unnecessary
- just ordering the L226 SNP is sufficient.
If you are from another cluster, and confirmed L21+, then ordering the full L21+ package would be a sensible option to ensure than all of the newly discovered SNPs are tested, as possibly one is defining for your cluster.
Joining the Project
This project is open to those of any cluster who have tested L226 SNP and have returned a POSITIVE
Irish Type III
Irish Type III are testing positive for L226, those of this cluster may join on ordering L226 and be in the 'Pending' Group until their result is known.
Click Request to Join This Group
to become part of this project. Please confirm in your 'Request to oin' that you have ordered the L226 SNP test.
All other L21+ clusters
For other clusters, when your positive L226 result has been confirmed,
please Click Request to Join This Group
to become part of this project.
If you are NOT
of the Irish Type III Cluster, you must be an FTDNA customer and you MUST
have a positive L226 result before requesting to join.
Other Projects to JoinIf you have tested L226- but L21+/S145+
: Please consider joining the R-L21 Plus Project
rather than this one.
Timeline28 October 2009
- Mutation at ChrY:17558118 in Irish Type III candidate of "Walk The Y" project noted.
03 November 2009
- Mutation confirmed by Thomas Krahn, named 'L226' and added to his Draft R-Tree
08 November 2009
- L226 available to order.
18 November 2009
- First nine positive results announced.
10 December 2009
- R-L226 Project established
14 December 2009
- 20 positive results - all Irish Type III - 20 Negative results all L21+ non-Irish Type III.
30 March 2010
- 50 positive L226/S168 results - all Irish Type III - 150 Negative results all L21+ non-Irish Type III.
30 November 2010
- 75 positive L226/S168 results - all Irish Type III.
17 January 2012
- 100 positive L226/S168 results - all Irish Type III.
01 November 2013
- 150 members - Results now grouped into STR signatures.