Moubray, Mowberry, Mowbray
There are many Mowbray clans within the United States, United Kingdom and Worldwide. The nature of our familial relations is of particular interest. For many of us doing genealogical research the links between these clans in some cases has been difficult to establish. This project is an attempt to establish these familial relations and to give greater perspective of the relationship of the different clans and provide data to their common origins.
Surnames currently covered by this project to date are Mowbray, Moubray and Mowberry. All other variants of the Mowbray surname will be added to this project excluding variants that fall within the following format of Mayb*r*y.
Please read what follows and if you decide to become a member of this project then scroll down to the Mowbray DNA Project Questionnaire
and email your results back to the Administrator of this project. Note: All responses will be posted on the Mowbray Family Research Fourm within Yahoo Groups. If you are not a member of this forum indicate such and we will get instructions to you on the possibility of becomming a member.
WHO SHOULD BE TESTED
Anyone with the Mowbray surname or a variant of that is covered by this project may be tested as part of this project. With that said please read the rest of this section for important data concerning the who should be tested question.
Although there are persons with the Mowbray surname or a variant of all over the world the name itself has its origins in Europe. The ultimate authority on this matter is David Mowbray of Cheltenham, England who is a long standing member in the "Guild Of One Name Studies". David has produced the Mowbray Family History
website which is by far the only website dedicated to the origins and history of the Mowbray family name. Through the extensive research done by David he has outlined 20 distinct Mowbray family lines in Europe. The dissemination of the Mowbray surname throughout the world can most definitely be tied back to these 20 distinct lines. So it is of utmost importance that testing be performed on persons from each of these family lines, this will establish a baseline for everyone involved in this project.
Now to outline those that definitely need testing:
- 2 or more persons from each of the established 20 European Mowbray surname family lines.
- 2 or more persons of a Mowbray or variant surname family line from throughout the world that has not provided a definate connection to 1 or more of the established 20 European Mowbray family lines.
It is understood that regardless of all the research that you have done you still may desire testing even though you have a connection to previously tested family lines. This is fine.
Anyone with the Mowbray surname or a variant of that surname may participate in this project.
If you do desire testing it is of the most importance that you complete that Mowbray DNA Project Questionnaire located futher down on this page. This questionnaire will enable those of us that administer this project to see just how you fit into the grand scheme. After testing and comparison parts of this information will be disseminated to all members of this project giving us all a greater understanding of our familial relationships.
If you feel that you do not want testing but would like to contribute to this project you may donate funds to this family project. This will enable those who definitely should be tested, and can not forgo the expense of testing, to be tested. See the section on contibuting to this project further down on this page. If you are not tested but do contribute please fill out the questionnaire so that you may be kept abreast of the progress of this project.
TESTING THAT IS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PROJECT
The type of testing being done for this family project is Y-DNA testing. That type of testing tests specific markers on the Y chromosome. Only males should have the Y chromosome which is passed on generation to generation from father to son. Due to this fact it makes the tracking of a surname possible through this type of DNA analysis.
When it comes to this type of DNA testing for genealogical purposes the greater amount of markers tested the better. The testing of greater amounts of markers can lead to more accurate establishment familial relations and the greater understanding of the relationship between familial lines.
- The Y-DNA12 test will test for 12 separate markers on the Y chromosome. This testing is good for showing distant generational relations and would associate you with family lines from a particular geographic location. With a high percentage of marker matching between individuals of the same surname this testing can possibly link you to that family line.
- The Y-DNA37 test will test for 37 separate markers on the Y chromosome. This testing is considered one of the best and most common at this time for genealogical purposes. It can shorten the generational gap between matches and a Most Recent Common Ancestor. High percentage of marker matching between individuals with this testing can tie you not only to a geographic location but also greatly raises the probability of a definite tie into a single family line.
- The Y-DNA67 test will test for 67 separate markers on the Y chromosome. This is the most markers that our testing company Family Tree DNA tests for at this time. This testing can greatly shorten the generational gap between matches and a Most Recent Common Ancestor over that of the Y-DNA37 testing. High percentage of marker matching between individuals with this testing can tie you not only to a geographic location but also greatly raises the probability of a definite tie into a single family line over that of the Y-DNA37 testing. But for comparative reasons this testing is only as good as the number participants having this testing performed.
For the purpose of this project it is recommended that you have the Y-DNA37 or greater testing performed. But if you feel that all you want or need is the Y-DNA12 testing then please do so. The more who participate the better the outcome of the project will be. Also no matter what testing you have done at anytime in the future, up to 25 years, you can have further testing performed to upgrade your current results to a greater amount of markers without having to submit another sample.
With each kit sent out by Family Tree DNA there is a release form that allows Family Tree DNA to compare your results to others in the family project and then report any matches to those participants that match. The release is for those purposes only and no other. This release is extremely important to make a family surname project viable. So Please Sign Up!
mtDNA - MITOCHONDRIAL DNA TESTING
As far as the mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA) testing that is offered by Family Tree DNA, that testing will not be apart of this project. Since mtDNA has a line of inheritance from mother to children the linking of this type of testing to a surname project just does not apply. There are some instances where this type of testing can help resolve some mysteries but it needs to be applied on a case be case basis for very specific circumstances. If you desire mtDNA testing and feel it will aid in your personal research you can have it performed through this family group project at the discounted group rate but your results will have no bearing on this project.
FOR YOUR ASSURANCE
The type of testing being performed will not show or determine genetic abnormalities or be able to predict a person’s chance for one disease or another. The sample or results can not obtained or used by governmental, law enforcement, insurance or medical agencies for any purpose.
MOWBRAY DNA PROJECT QUESTIONNAIRE
Please respond to the following questions as accurately as possible. Your responses are needed to bring more depth or meaning to this project. Assembled data from participants when tied to results will give a greater understanding of our relationships and will provide us with a means of reporting more accurate data back to the participants of this project. Please email your results back to the Administrator of this project. Note:
All responses will be posted on the Mowbray Family Research Fourm within Yahoo Groups. If you are not a member of this forum indicate such and we will get instructions to you on the possibility of becomming a member.
CONTRIBUTING TO THE MOWBRAY DNA PROJECT TESTING FUND
- What is your name?
- Where are you from?
- Are you a member of the "Mowbray Family History" forum in Yahoo Groups? If not please indicate your email address.
- Are you a member of 1 of the 20 European Mowbray family lines as established and supported by the research of David Mowbray member of the “Guild Of One Name Studies”? If unknown please indicate so. If so please indicate which family line by its family number 1 through 20. If possible please indicate the patriarchs name and any dates associated with that individual for that family line.
- Based on your individual research where did your earliest Mowbray ancestor come from or where was that ancestor living at the time where your research ends?
- Where do you believe your Mowbray family hailed from? If you believe that your family hailed from Scotland, possibly based on family stories, then indicate Scotland and that this is not supported by research rather by family stories. Also, if you believe your family was from England and this is supported by research then indicate England and briefly describe the research that supports this.
- Based on your research please submit the following information on the oldest 3 generations of your Mowbray line:
• Dates of birth
• Dates of death
• Spouses and children
Submit whatever information you can even if you do not have 3 generations worth.
- If you live outside of England i.e. United States, Australia, South Africa or New Zealand and you know how your Mowbray ancestors migrated to these places please indicate so. Names, dates and how they arrived would be great. Please do not feel limited to the countries listed they are there as an example only.
- What are your expectations from this testing or what do you feel this testing will be able to provide to you or your research?
A general fund has been established and associated with this family project. This is an important fund that allows those who might consider testing and are not able to forgo the expense of testing. A portion or all of the testing expenses can be funded by this fund as long as they are deemed to be a significant contibutor via their testing addition to this family project. The fund is managed by Family Tree DNA. Availability to this fund will be on a case by case basis only and based on the significance that their testing might have on the project. You can contribute to the project in one of three ways. When ordering your testing you can designate any additional amount you desire to go towards the family fund. You must specify "Mowbray DNA Project". Also at any time you may contribute through this webpage by clicking on the "Contribute to the Surname Project General Fund" link, again you must specify "Mowbray DNA Project". You can also contact Family Tree DNA directly to contribute to this fund, you must specify that your contribution is for the "Mowbray DNA Project". If you do not specify "Mowbray DNA Project" the fund will go into a general fund held by Family Tree DNA and can not be accessed by our family project. Please consider giving, any amount, it can only benifit all of us.
THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROJECT
Visitors to the Mowbray DNA Project
To donate to the general fund please