The Advanced Matching page allows you to compare genetic matching from multiple types of DNA tests: Family Finder, mtDNA, and Y-DNA. You may select filtering options in the Filter section and view matching results in the Results section.
- Test types - You may select all or specific test types from Y-DNA, mtDNA, and Family Finder tests. Your options depend upon the tests you have taken.
- Show Matches from - Limit matches to those who match on all results or view those who match on any selected result.
- Last Name Starts with - Filter matches by surname matching.
- Show Matches for - View matches from the entire Family Tree DNA database, or limit them to a specific project.
- Results per Page - Choose the number of results you wish to view on a page.
- Name - This is your match's name.* This field also includes:
- A link to their personal profile. Click on their name to view their profile.
- A link to their e-mail address.
- A link to the TiP program (For those with Y-DNA Results).
- GEDCOM/Family Tree (where they have one).
- A link to add a note or
a link to view/edit a note.
- Testing levels for their Family Finder, mtDNA, and standard Y-DNA tests.**
- Match Date - This represents the date on which you were matched with this person.
- Y-DNA Haplogroup - This is your match's Y-DNA haplogroup according to their testing. If they have not taken a Y-DNA SNP test, we show a, "-", dash.
- mtDNA Haplogroup - This is your match's mtDNA haplogroup according to their testing.
- Y-DNA Columns - These (Y-DNA12, Y-DNA25, Y-DNA37, Y-DNA67, and Y-DNA111) show the genetic distance between you and your match. Exact matches are zero steps.
- mtDNA Columns - These (shorthand HVR1, HVR2, and FMS)* show the genetic distance between you and your exact matches (zero steps).
- Family Finder - This is relationship range between you and your matches.
- Match Date - This is when we matched you and your genetic cousin in the Family Tree DNA database. If you and your match received results of different dates, it is the earlier of the two result dates.
You can sort each column by clicking on the column name.
* Note that some of your matches may have chosen not to see or be seen by matches at one or more testing levels. They will be shown as Private. You may read more about this here.
** These are the mtDNA shorthand, testing levels (products), and matching levels.
||HVR1 & HVR2
||HVR1, HVR2, & Coding Region
We would like this User Guide to be as complete and helpful to our customers and project administrators as possible. Please send us your requests and suggestions for improvement. Send Feedback.